As a young lad, I was raised not to take handouts from
anyone. It was understood that I was
supposed to be able to do anything and everything for myself when the right
times came. I am grateful for the way my
parents raised me because I know I will be able to take care of myself in most situations. I am even more grateful
for the realization I had years ago that I will never be the "best me" if I am
only learning from myself. By this I
mean we ALL need influences on ourselves that extend far beyond our own
thinking, young men especially. It is
important for young men to surround themselves in good company and it is
equally important for young men to be impacted by men who have already been
where they are now in life. Mentorship
is essential to personal and career development, yet I don’t think nearly
enough mentoring relationships exist for young men. There two are factors that men and young men
alike must overcome in order for mentoring to better benefit the male population.
We live in a world today that is full of pride. Young men are taught
from a very young age that asking for help is for the weak. With that mentality, boys grow up believing
that they must do everything on their own in order to be successful and
confident. On the other hand, older men
have society in their ears telling them that advancing personally is more
rewarding than helping others. This
world tells us that success is found within ourselves and provides more
happiness than giving back to others. As
a collective society, we have lost the understanding that helping others helps
us just as much, if not more, than helping ourselves.
Secondly, there is simply a lapse in communication between boys and men of different generations. I firmly believe there are boys wanting to be
mentored and there are older men wanting to mentor younger men. These older men know they have great advice
that can benefit younger generations and they see the potential of them. This communication may be linked back to the
pride issues in that young men don’t want to seemingly “ask for help” and older
men don’t want to reach out and somehow look “weak.”
Here’s the bottom line: mentoring doesn’t just benefit one
party. There is growth on both sides of
the equation. I am extremely grateful
for all of the influential men in my life who have in some sort of way been a
mentor to me and I know that God placed them in my life for great reasons. My mentors have provided me with the means to grow in all facets of my life.
To the younger men:
Just when you think you know it all, that’s when you know the least. There are men around you that have advice,
tips, tricks, goals, and attitudes that can help you grow into the man that you
want to be and exceed the goals you have for yourself.
To the older men: There are younger men hungry for help in
life; there are young men near you that can greatly benefit from what
you already know. Don’t get so caught up
in your own life that you forget about from where you came. Think back in your own life and recall that
man that you always looked up to—think about the man who helped you out at some
point. Don’t you want to be that guy for
someone else? And if you didn’t have
that man who helped you in life, you know how hard it is without help. So why not change that reality for a young
man in need?

No comments:
Post a Comment