1.
Smart meet smarter – No matter where you go or
what you begin after high school, chances are that someone around you will be
smarter than you. Learning and being
smart are two good traits to have, but there are so many more pieces to your
personal puzzle. It is extremely
important for you to be relational, to communicate well, and to be able to
handle all sorts of situations. These
traits can prove to be much more meaningful to peers, classmates, employers,
etc.
2.
You don’t know what you’ve got ‘til it’s gone — Don’t
just wish high school away. We often get
into a rhythm of wishing and hoping for the next upcoming thing. Stop.
Enjoy your days in high school.
The days after those will come in due time. Enjoy each day and don’t wish it away because
you are seriously just wishing your life away!
3.
Make your relationships meaningful — Make sure the
relationships you are focusing on are ones of value to you and others. Relationships built around alcohol and drugs
and whatever else, you know those aren’t sustainable and/ or healthy. Build connections with the people that really
benefit you and you benefit them: teachers who can write letters of
recommendation for you, like-minded friends who can push you to reach your
potential, and people in the community who can help you when you’re ready to
enter the workforce.
4.
Your work is far from over — Don’t think that you
can rest on what you’ve accomplished in high school. I went off to college thinking, I worked hard in high school so I am fine
with making a B in college. After I
saw that first B on my college transcript, I got a bad taste in my mouth. Each day is a blessing and not a day to rest
on past accomplishments; if you do that, you’re robbing yourself of future
successes in whatever you’re doing. So
with that said, keep up the good work.
Five years after high school, people will be much more concerned with
what you’ve done in the last year than what you did in high school. Not too many intriguing stories start out
with the words, “Well, back in high school ten years ago…”
5.
You’ve done a lot, but so have your parents — Take
a moment to thank your parents. They’ve
put in thousands of hours driving you to and from school and activities, going
to the store late at night in order to finish your project that’s due in the
morning, shopping for outfits you outgrew in a year, and so on and so
forth. Your parents/grandparents/guardians
have worked so hard to make sure you have everything you need.
6.
Things aren’t going to fall into your lap — Be
proactive about what’s next. I thought
because of the scores and GPA I had, colleges were going to be knocking down my
door wanting me. HOW FOOLISH I WAS. Utilize the knowledge of your teachers and
guidance counselors. I wasn’t even going
to apply to UGA, but I listened to my counselor’s advice and I know now that I
am where I am meant to be. So start
checking out schools-- use your excused-absence days to go and scout out
schools. Begin communicating with their
recruiters; put yourself out there. Just
don’t wait until the last minute to start applying! Procrastination will put you way behind the
curve!
No comments:
Post a Comment